Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Xiamen Fashion Scene

I should have been tipped off, when we first arrived and went shopping for sneakers for Calliope. Last year's sneakers were on sale upstairs at a significant discount. Xiamen is a fashion-conscious town. Especially amongst the women. The styles are a cross between 1950's-barbie-doll and what's-cool.

Fashion-watching is a constant source of entertainment on the bus. Notice the color-coordination, the accessories, as well as the heels. There is a calm and lovely art space, where they put up exhibits and stage performances, which has nothing to do with clothing styles. Except that in the storefront window downstairs, there is currently a glamorous, larger-than-life, very-high-heeled shoe.

During our first week in Xiamen, many people approached Calliope to see if she would agree to pose for a photo with them and their friends. A couple of weeks after we arrived, Calliope and I played frisbee on the Xiamen University campus. Calliope was hoping to gather some students who might like to learn how to play. Instead, she attracted photographers. They seemed to emerge from the bushes with their cameras and long lenses ready to catch Calliope in action.

I realized that most Chinese people didn't feel it was a brazen imposition to take pictures of us. And the reverse was also true. They didn't give a hoot about us taking pictures of them. Although I was hesitant, I took my first picture of two young women in their Xiamenesque outfits, looking more like models than students. I asked permission first, and found, to my surprise, that they were both flattered and delighted.

Even if I were sorely tempted to purchase one of these lovely Xiamenesque dresses, it turns out that I do not fit into Chinese clothing. I am apparently an XX-Large in baggy pants. And most of the tops are at least partially synthetic. However, both Calliope and Hilda have been much more successful with their clothing purchases. Calliope will be rocking the streets of Waltham. And some of Hilda's younger relatives may be gracing their fair cities with Xiamen fashion themes.

No comments:

Post a Comment